- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground lamb
- 1 slice bread, finely crumbled
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 poblano chiles or Cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 pitas or other flatbread
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise and 1/4 teaspoon ginger; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the lamb, bread, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger; season with salt and pepper. Form into 4-inch patties. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the patties until just firm, about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
In the same skillet, add the poblanos, onion, garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Wrap the pita in foil and keep warm in the oven.
Chop up the lamb patties and add to the pan, increasing the heat to medium-high. Cook the vegetables until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
Top a warmed pita with the reserved yogurt sauce and lamb mixture and fold over.