Start to Finish: 1 hour
1 tsp. olive oil
3/4 cup sliced shallots (about 3 large)
1 small bay leaf
1 pt. heavy cream
10 oz. fresh spinach
2 cans (15 oz. each) gigante beans or butter beans, rinsed
1/4 cup barberries, cranberries, or chopped dried tart cherries
12 large eggs
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low. Add the shallots, bay leaf, and 3/4 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring often, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream. Increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
3. In a dry large nonstick skillet, cook the spinach over medium heat, adding large handfuls at a time and tossing often, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander to drain. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze it as dry as possible, then break up the clumps. Stir the spinach, beans, and barberries into the cream mixture.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until well blended. Strain into the cream mixture. Stir until evenly incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 35 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces.