Recipe by Maangchi
This recipe originally appeared in our Winter/Spring 2021 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
- 1/2 lb. napa cabbage kimchi, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups), plus 2 tbsp. brine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 scallions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
1. In a medium bowl, mix the kimchi, brine, flour, scallions, sugar, and 1/2 cup water.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium. Swirl to coat. Pour batter into the pan and spread in an even layer. Cook until bottom is golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Place a large plate on top of the skillet. Carefully invert pancake onto the plate. Slide pancake back into skillet, browned-side up. Drizzle edges of skillet with remaining 2 tbsp. oil, then lift the pancake with a spatula so the oil runs underneath. Cook until bottom is golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip again and cook for another minute. Slide onto platter and serve immediately.