- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage with fennel, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 - 3 small ribs celery, sliced on an angle
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound (1 large bunch) Tuscan kale, center stem removed, leaves sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini or borlotti beans, rinsed
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes with juice
- Warm crusty bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano, minced raw onion and EVOO to pass at the table
In a large pot, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, celery, parsley and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, beans, tomatoes and juice, and a cup or two of water; bring to a simmer.
In shallow bowls, place a few pieces of torn warm bread and spoon the stew on top. Serve with the cheese, raw onion and EVOO for topping.