- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 3 turns of the pan
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (about 5 sprigs)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 1/2 pounds)quartered, cored and chopped
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers--drained, patted dry and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound kale, stems stripped off and discarded and leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, to pass around the table
- 4 onion rolls, toasted until crusty and cut into 1-inch-wide sticks
Heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onion and garlic as you chop them; season with the rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften a bit, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the peppers and chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil. Add the kale to the pot by the handful, letting each handful wilt before adding the next. Season with the nutmeg and cook for 5 minutes, then adjust the salt and pepper.
Ladle the stoup into bowls and sprinkle with the grated Pecorino Romano at the table. Pass around the crusty onion-roll sticks for dunking.