- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 20 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cocktail sauce and lemon wedges, for serving
Fill a pot with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in the milk, scallions and 1 tablespoon oil.
Thread shrimp onto ice pop sticks. Coat with the batter, then fry until golden, 2 to 3 minutes; drain. Serve with the cocktail sauce and lemon.