- Prep Time
- 1 cup jarred pickled vegetables (giardiniera), stemmed and drained
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup pitted Spanish olives
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8 - 9 inch round loaf soft bread
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced ham
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced salami
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced mortadella or other bologna
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese
Using a food processor, puree the pickled vegetables, olives, garlic and olive oil into a coarse paste. Season with pepper and set aside.
Slice the bread in half horizontally and remove some of the inside to make room for the filling. Spread the vegetable paste on both cut sides of the loaf. Layer the ham, salami, mortadella and provolone on one half and top with the other half. Wrap the sandwich tightly in foil and refrigerate, weighing it down with a heavy skillet, for at least 1 hour or overnight. Cut into quarters and serve.