- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ounces penne (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package (12 oz.) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick half moons
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bag (8 oz.) assorted-color mini sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 can (14 to 15.5 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 7 ounces baby spinach (about 7 cups)
- 2 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp. oil over medium-high. Add the sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high. Add the garlic, sweet peppers and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is reduced by about two-thirds, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the beans and sausage; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach; cook, tossing, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pasta; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove the pasta from the heat, stir in the cheese and season.