- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup dried small white or navy beans
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons golden raisins
- 5 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed in a plastic freezer bag with mallet
- 10 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup EVOO
In a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven, boil the first 6 ingredients and 3 cups water for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours, adding 1/4 cup more water at a time as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the tortellini, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the tortellini is cooked through, about 10 minutes; season.
Divide the soup among shallow soup bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese. Garnish with the parsley and drizzle with EVOO.