- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 16 ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and 1 teaspoon caraway seeds; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer 1 cup cabbage to a bowl and let sit until slightly cooled.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the meatloaf mix, breadcrumbs, egg, allspice and remaining 2 teaspoons caraway seeds. Divide the mixture into 12 mounds. Hold 1 mound in your hand and press a heaping teaspoon of the cooled cabbage into the center; shape the meat around the cabbage to form a meatball. Repeat with the remaining meat and cooled cabbage.
3. Add 1 cup water to the cabbage in the skillet; nestle the meatballs in the cabbage. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover and cook, turning the meatballs once, until cooked through, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the meatballs on the cabbage, along with the cranberry sauce.