- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken or lamb
- 2 tablespoons mild or hot curry paste
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning (a palmful)
- 2 pinches of ground cinnamon or ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander (half a palmful)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- A generous handful of cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- A generous handful of mint
- 4 leaves of Bibb or Boston lettuce, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 pita rounds
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Mix the ground chicken with the curry paste, grill seasoning, cinnamon, cumin and coriander and form into 4 large, 1/2-inch-thick patties. Coat the patties with a little EVOO and grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side (3 minutes on each side for lamb).
In a food processor, blend the yogurt with the garlic, lemon juice, cilantro and mint until smooth. Season the lettuce and tomatoes with a little salt.
Char the pitas on the grill, about 1 minute on each side, and cut about 1 inch off the tops. Open each pita and fill with a patty, a quarter of the chopped lettuce and sliced tomatoes and a generous spoonful of the yogurt sauce.