- 2 1 quart boxes chicken broth (8 cups), such as Kitchen Basics brand
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped (a handful)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups egg noodles
- 1/2 cup jarred Spanish piquillo peppers or roasted red peppers, cut into thin 2-inch-long strips
- 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces, then shredded into thin sticks
- 3 tablespoons torn fresh dill (a handful)
In a medium saucepan, heat the broth to a boil; reduce to a simmer.
While the broth simmers, in a medium bowl, combine the chicken, egg, bread crumbs, nutmeg, paprika, parsley and salt and pepper. Roll the meat into 1-inch dumplings and add about 8 of them at a time to the simmering broth. Let the dumplings cook for 3 to 4 minutes, without stirring. Add the noodles, peppers and scallions and stir. Cook until the noodles are just tender. Stir in the dill. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper and serve.