- Cook Time
- 8 good-quality, 6- to 8-inch beef, pork or vegan hot dogs, such as Fearless Franks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 1 teaspoon (about 1 1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
- 1 1/2- 2 cups shredded easy-melting cheese, such as pepper jack, Monterey jack or cheddar
- natural cooking spray or cooking oil, for brushing
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano or jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup (a small handful) cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 small Hass avocado-- halved, pitted and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- chopped lettuce, such as romaine hearts
- pickled jalapen~o slices
In a large skillet, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil over medium-high. Reduce the heat to low, add the hot dogs and cook gently until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Heat a grill or griddle pan over medium, or preheat the oven to 375 degrees .
In a medium skillet, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic and chiles; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until softened, a couple of minutes. Stir in the beans and 1/2 cup water; season with the cumin.
Slather the tortillas with the bean mixture and top with the cheese. Remove the dogs from the water and pat dry. Place one dog at one end of each tortilla, then wrap and roll. Spray the flautas with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil and grill, griddle or bake, starting seam side down and turning occasionally, until the tortillas are golden and crunchy and the dogs are crispy at the ends, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the red onion and chile. Sprinkle with salt and let the mixture stand a few minutes until juices form. Toss with tomatoes and cilantro to make pico de gallo. (Instead of making your own pico de gallo, you can use store-bought pico or salsa.)
In a small bowl, stir together the crema and mustard.
In another small bowl, dress the avocado with the lime juice.
Line plates with the lettuce; top with the flautas. Garnish with the pico de gallo, mustard crema, diced avocado and a few pickled jalapen~o slices.