- 6 medium starchy potatoes, such as Idahos, peeled and cubed
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons finely grated onion
- 1/4 cup flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of well-salted boiling water until tender. Drain the potatoes well and pass them through a ricer into a large bowl. Add the grated onion (grate it right over the bowl), flour, egg, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper and mix well.
On a floured surface, roll the potato mix into 1-inch-thick logs and cut into tots.
Fill a countertop fryer with oil or pour a few inches of oil into a large Dutch oven. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. (The oil is ready when a 1-inch cube of white bread cooks to golden brown in 40 seconds.) Fry the tots in small batches until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season the cooked tots with a little extra salt.