Recipe by Sarah Karnasiewicz
This article originally appeared in our Holiday 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Servings: Makes about 4 cups
- 3 1/2 lb. blood oranges, navel oranges, or a mix of the two (about 10 oranges)
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 tbsp. orange liqueur, such as Cointreau (optional)
1. Cut the peels and white pith off of the oranges, then slice the fruit into rounds, discarding any seeds.
2. In a small pan, add 2 cups water, the sugar, cinnamon stick, and star anise pod. Scrape in the vanilla bean seeds; add the vanilla bean. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Simmer until syrupy, about 30 minutes. Discard the vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, and star anise pod. Stir in the liqueur, if using.
3. Let the syrup cool to room temperature, then gently toss with the citrus. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.