Recipe by Tara Holland & Renae E. Wilson
Start to finish: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped, plus more chopped scallion greens for garnish
- 2 limes, zested (about 2 tsp.) and juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 small jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 lb.), cut into 8 pieces
- Cooked white rice, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. In a blender, pulse the cilantro, lettuce, mayonnaise, mint, sour cream, coarsely chopped scallions, lime zest and juice, chile, and garlic until smooth, about 2 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken pieces on a rimmed baking sheet; season. Rub 1/2 cup of the sauce all over the chicken.
4. Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer registers 165° when inserted into the thickest part of the breasts and thighs and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife, 35 to 45 minutes.
5. Serve the chicken with rice and the remaining green sauce. Garnish the rice with the chopped scallion greens.