Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
Start to Finish: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- 4 red beets and 4 golden beets (each 2 to 3 inches in diameter)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest plus 1 tbsp. juice (from 1 orange)
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Set 4 large sheets of foil on a work surface. Place 2 beets of similar color on each sheet. Brush with oil; season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in the foil. Roast the beets until tender when a knife is pierced through the foil, 50 to 60 minutes. Carefully open the packets. (Steam will be released.) Let cool for about 15 minutes, then peel. Preheat the broiler. Cut the beets crosswise, almost all the way through, into 1/4-inch slices. Transfer to a small rimmed baking sheet. Brush the beets with oil; season. Broil until browned in spots, 7 to 10 minutes.
2. In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot softens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the orange zest and juice and the parsley. Drizzle the beets with the orange butter.