- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 6 ounces cream cheese, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unslated butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 granny smith apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup pecans halves, toasted
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
Using a food processor, pulse the flour, cream cheese, butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the milk and pulse until the dough just comes together, about 3 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a work surface and shape the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, using the food processor, coarsely chop the apples, pecans and dates with 1/2 cup sugar, the nutmeg and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; transfer to a bowl.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured work surface, working with 1 piece at a time, roll out the dough into a 1/8-inch-thick square and cut into three 3 1/2-by-10 1/2-inch rectangles. Spread 1/2 cup of filling over the bottom half of each rectangle, leaving a thin border, and fold the top of the rectangle over the filling. Seal the edges with a fork and cut a 1/2-inch vent on top. Transfer the strudels to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with water and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.