- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 slices whole-grain sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces mixed mushrooms or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 5 ounces spring salad mix
- 1/2 large avocado--pitted, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces shredded Gruyere
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high. Grill the bread until grill marks form, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
Preheat the broiler. In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, heat 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil over medium. Add three-quarters of the sliced onion. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from the heat; cover to keep warm.
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar and remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil; season and toss with the greens, remaining onion and the avocado.
Top the toasts with the mushroom mixture and the cheese. Broil until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the toasts with the salad.