- Prep Time
- 1 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef sirloin
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 ounce box frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 pound spinach, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 kosher dill pickles, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 5 minutes. Add the yellow onion, carrots, celery and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Keep warm.
In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, 2 minutes. Stir the sauce into the beef mixture, then stir in the peas. Season with salt and pepper, lower the heat and simmer.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar, honey and mustard. Whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO. Add the spinach, red onion, tomatoes and pickles; season with salt and pepper.
Toss the egg noodles with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the dill. Top with the beef stew and serve with the salad.