- Prep Time
- 1 pound macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds combined ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- 3 tablespoons freshly snipped chives, for garnish
- 4 radishes, finely chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, setting aside a ladle of pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, stirring and crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, onion, celery, bell pepper and bay leaf and cook for 10 minutes. Add the broth and tomato sauce and heat through. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the sour cream, dill and parsley.
Toss the macaroni with the goulash (stir in a little pasta cooking water to thin it if necessary). Serve with small bowls of the chives, radishes and cornichons.