- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 slices (1/2 inch thick) white Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large egg yolk (optional)
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- About 3/4 cup EVOO
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 2 large heads romaine, roots trimmed but intact, halved lengthwise
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally into 6 thin cutlets
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 4 radishes, cut into matchsticks or thin half moons
- 8 ounces smoked blue cheese, preferably Oscar's (oscarsadksmokehouse.com), or Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and heat a grill pan or grill over medium-high.
In a medium skillet, melt the butter with the oil over medium. Add the garlic and swirl the pan a minute or two to infuse the butter; discard the garlic. Add the bread cubes; toss to coat. Cook, stirring often, until golden; spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with coarsely ground black pepper; sprinkle with 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano. Bake until the croutons are deep golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
In a food processor, puree the lemon juice, egg yolk, if using, anchovies, garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire and pepper. With the machine running, gradually stream in the EVOO. Add the cheeses and pulse to combine.
On a slotted broiler pan or a rimmed baking sheet fitted with a metal rack, arrange the bacon in a single layer. Bake until crispy, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool, then chop into 1-inch pieces.
Soak and dry the halved heads of lettuce. Drizzle with oil and grill, cut side down, until slightly charred, about 2 minutes. Place, cut side up, on a platter or divide among plates.
Drizzle the chicken with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill until charred in spots and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side; slice or cut into cubes.
Top the halved lettuce heads with the croutons; drizzle with the dressing. Top with rows of egg, scallions, radishes, chicken, bacon and blue cheese.