- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup steak sauce, such as A.1
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut at an angle into 1-inch-thick slices
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 14 ounces bone-in rib-eye steaks
- Extra-virgin olive oil
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cola, ketchup, steak sauce, lemon juice and zest, and ginger to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the butter and garlic. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Spread the bread slices on both sides with the garlic butter and grill, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes.
Brush the onion slices and steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high. Grill the steak and onions until the steak is cooked to the desired doneness (about 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare) and the onions are softened. Slice the steak into thin strips. Top each toast with steak, onions and cola sauce.