- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and grated
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped(a generous handful)
- 8 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 8 sprigs thyme, leaves finely chopped
- 4 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, halved crosswise and sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise 2/3 inch thick (I leave on half the skin I like the color and texture it gives the dish)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound ricotta salata cheese, sliced
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium-high. In a large bowl, combine the EVOO, garlic, parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary.
Coat the zucchini and peppers with some of the oil mixture and set aside. Coat the eggplant with the remaining oil mixture. Season the vegetables liberally with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant steaks, turning twice, for 10 minutes. Grill the peppers for 7 minutes and the zucchini for 5 minutes, turning each once. Divide the vegetables among dinner plates or arrange on a platter. Top with the cheese.
Grill the bread and slather with the olives. Serve alongside the vegetables.