- Flour, for stretching dough
- 1 pound pizza dough, store-bought or homemade, halved
- 1 can (14 to 14.5 oz.) plum or diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
- About 1/2 tsp. fennel pollen or ground fennel seeds
- Natural olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, patted dry and very thinly sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves
Preheat a grill to high.
On a lightly floured surface, stretch each dough half out to form two large ovals.
In a food processor, puree the tomatoes, EVOO, garlic, vinegar and fennel pollen. Season with salt.
Spray an upside-down or rimless baking sheet with cooking spray. Spray 1 dough oval with cooking spray. Place on the grill, oiled side down. Grill until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes. Using tongs, flip the dough over onto the baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, spread with half the sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with half the cheese. Slide the pizza onto the grill; cover and cook until the cheese melts, the crust is browned and the dough is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining dough, sauce and cheese. Top the pizzas with basil.