- 2 petite beef shoulder files, about 1 1/2 lbs. each
- 12 slices thick or butcher-cut bacon
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 - 4 tablespoons minced chives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 12 - 16 small French or brioche rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 2 bunches watercress-trimmed, washed and dried
Bring the beef to room temperature before you begin to cook. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, 15 to 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, coat the beef with EVOO; season liberally with salt and pepper. In the heated skillet, brown the filets over medium-high heat, 5 to 6 minutes, then finish in the oven for another 5 to 6 minutes for medium to medium-rare. Remove and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Combine the sour cream with the horseradish, chives and lemon juice; season to taste.
Slice the meat very thinly against the grain. Serve on the rolls topped with the bacon, watercress leaves and horseradish cream.