- Prep Time
- 1 large shallot
- 1/3 cup smoked almonds (a generous handful)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 1/3 cup oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes (a generous handful)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for brushing
- 8 small portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean
- 1 18 ounce tub prepared plain or sun-dried tomato polenta, cut into 16 equal slices
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices smoked mozzarella or scamorza cheese
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches (about 8 ounces) arugula or spinach, chopped (about 4 cups)
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Using a food processor, puree 1/4 cup water, the shallot, almonds, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. With the machine on, pour in 1/2 cup EVOO to form a smooth, thick dressing. Pour about two-thirds of the dressing into a large bowl. Add the mushroom caps and turn to coat.
Place the mushrooms on the grill, cover the grill (or cover the grill pan with foil) and cook, turning once, 7 minutes total. Brush the polenta slices with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill until just heated through, about 4 minutes. Place the "burgers" on the polenta rounds, top with a slice of cheese and another polenta round and cook until the cheese melts, 1 minute more.
Toss the celery and arugula with the remaining dressing. Serve 2 "burgers" with the salad alongside.