- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 slices meaty bacon, chopped
- 2 ears corn, husked, kernels cut from cobs
- 1 bunch scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- About 1 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 4 fillets sustainable white fish, such as swordfish or halibut
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high.
Heat a skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp. oil, one turn of the pan. Add the bacon and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the scallions, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno, thyme and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir the creme fraiche and hot sauce into the maque choux; reduce the heat to low.
Season the fish and drizzle with oil. Grill the fish until opaque in the center, about 3 minutes per side. Douse with the lemon juice and top with the maque choux.