- 1 lemon, zested and 1/2 juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 5 - 6 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 4 6 - 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 2 small or 1 medium zucchini - halved lengthwise, seeded and diced
- 1 bunch scallions, whites sliced and greens reserved for another use
- 1 small red chile pepper, such as Fresno, seeded and finely chopped, or about 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh herbs, such as mint, parsley, tarragon or basil, chopped
- 4 cups baby arugula
- A chunk of pecorino pepato (with black peppercorns), shaved into curls with a vegetable peeler, for garnish
In a shallow dish, combine the lemon zest and juice with half of the garlic, 3-4 tbsp. of the EVOO and the thyme.
Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high.
Butterfly the chicken pieces: Open them up like a book by cutting into them horizontally without going all the way through. Once butterflied, pound the meat into thin cutlets; season with salt and pepper. Turn them in the lemon-thyme marinade. Let stand.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp. of EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high. Add the corn and lightly brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, scallion whites, chile pepper and the remaining garlic to the corn; season. Cook to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the butter and stir to melt, creating a creamy sauce. Remove the zucchini-corn sauce from the heat and toss with the tomatoes and herbs.
Grill the chicken 3 to 4 minutes on each side, then transfer to plates.
Top each chicken cutlet with a cup of the baby arugula and some of the warm zucchini-corn sauce. Top with the pecorino pepato curls.