- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 6 ounces shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 Comice or Anjou pear, quartered and thinly sliced lengthwise
1. In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat a griddle or 2 large skillets over medium heat. Top 4 bread slices with the cheese, reserved onion and pear. Cover with the remaining 4 bread slices.
3. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter on the griddle, add the sandwiches and cook over medium-low heat until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cut in half.