Recipe by Mindy Fox
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. whole coriander seeds, coarsely crushed using the bottom of a heavy skillet
- 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced shallots (3 to 5)
- 2 lb. haricots verts (thin green beans), trimmed
- 1 cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
1. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, coriander seeds, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 tsp. salt just to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the shallots. Return to a boil, then immediately remove the pan from heat. Let cool completely, about 20 minutes. Drain the shallots. Discard the liquid.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Salt the boiling water and add the green beans. Cook the green beans until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the green beans and immediately submerge them in the ice water. Let stand until cold, about 5 minutes. Drain the green beans and pat dry.
3. Just before serving, toss the green beans with the pickled shallots, the almonds, EVOO, and orange zest; season with salt and pepper.
See all our Thanksgiving recipes for planners and procrastinators here.