Recipe by Abby Bodiker, Food Stylist at the Rachael Ray show
"The secret to extra-crisp skin is that 10-15 minutes before frying when you let the breaded chicken rest. This also helps ensure that the crust won’t fall off when you bite in!" – Abby Bodiker
- Prep Time
- 3 lbs. skinless thighs
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch of poultry seasoning
- 3 cups vegetable oil (or 2 lbs. lard)
1. Boil chicken thighs in water until cooked through. In a resealable plastic bag, soak the chicken in the buttermilk for 30 minutes (or up to 12 hours).
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, cornmeal, lemon zest, oregano and poultry seasoning.
3. Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and coat them evenly with the flour mixture; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand for 15 minutes. Coat the chicken again in the flour mixture.
4. Meanwhile, in an extra-large, heavy skillet, heat the oil to 400°. Carefully add the chicken to the pan and fry the chicken for 12 to 15 seconds. Top with more zest. Transfer to paper towels to drain; serve hot.
Try our Classic Fried Chicken