- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 large English cucumber, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 3 - 4 ounces Genoa salami, cut into matchsticks
- Sliced pepperoncini
- Grilled bread, for serving
In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil over medium. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the salami and cook until the oil releases, 3 to 4 minutes (reduce the heat if the shallot begins to brown). Add the stock and pepper; increase the heat and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the salami softens and only a few tablespoonfuls of liquid remain, about 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a food processor; puree 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and salt; puree 1 minute more. With the processor running, gradually add the EVOO. Transfer the vinaigrette to a bowl; cover and chill.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini, eggplant, EVOO and salt. Cook the vegetables, turning once, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let cool.
Transfer the zucchini and eggplant to a large bowl; toss with the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, capers, mint, oregano and 1/2 cup vinaigrette. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Divide the salad among plates. Top with the feta, salami pieces and pepperoncini; serve with the grilled bread.