- Prep Time
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken broth
- 1 2 inch strip lemon peel and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch saffron or saffron powder
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large yolks
- 2 drops hot sauce
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a couple of generous handfuls)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pita chips (any flavor), for serving
In a soup pot, bring the broth, lemon peel, bay leaf and saffron to a boil. Stir in the orzo and boil for 5 minutes. Cover, remove the pan from the heat and let the orzo steep for 5 minutes. Discard the lemon peel and bay leaf.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks, lemon juice and hot sauce. Whisk in 1/2 cup soup to temper the eggs, then whisk the egg mixture into the soup. Cook on low heat, whisking, for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley; season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips.