- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups cold stuffing, chopped into small pieces
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 16 cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino-romano cheese
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
Divide the stuffing into 16 portions; firmly squeeze each into a ball. Working with one ball at a time, create an indentation with your index finger, stuff with a mozzarella cube and pinch the stuffing to seal in the cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and vinegar. in a medium bowl, combine the panko and grated cheese. Roll a stuffing ball in the egg mixture, then roll in the panko to coat. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining stuffing balls.
In a 4-qt. saucepan, heat the oil to 350 degrees. Working in batches, fry the balls, turning for even cooking, until golden-brown, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and let cool slightly before serving.