- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Colored frosting and assorted sprinkles, for decorating
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low, beat the flour, molasses, brown sugar, butter, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice, cloves and 1/4 cup cold water until blended. Gather into a ball, divide in half, flatten each half into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees . On a lightly floured surface, roll out one dough disk into a 1/4-inch-thick round. Using lightly floured cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Repeat with the second disk. Gather scraps, roll out, and cut out more cookies. Divide between two nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies do not spring back when touched, rotating the sheets and reversing from the top to bottom racks halfway through baking, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack; let cool. Decorate as desired.