Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 juniper berries
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup gin
- 1/4 cup red currant jam
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp.red wine vinegar
- 2 mahi mahi fillets (about 6 oz. each)
- 1 tsp. grapeseed or vegetable oil
1. Place the juniper berries and coriander seeds in a resealable freezer bag. Using a mallet or rolling pin, coarsely crush the seeds. Transfer to a small saucepan; add the gin and jam. Bring to a boil over medium-high, stirring often, until reduced to about 3 tbsp., 3 to 5 minutes. Strain the glaze into a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cabbage, cilantro and scallion. Toss with the red wine vinegar and 4 tsp. glaze; season the slaw with salt and pepper.
3. Pat the mahi mahi dry; season. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Cook the fish, skin side down, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side, adding the remaining glaze to the skillet during the last minute of cooking.
4. Divide the slaw between plates. Arrange the mahi mahi alongside and drizzle with the pan juices.