- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup finely crushed salt-and-vinegar potato chips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Ketchup, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with 2 inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are just fork-tender on the outside, but still slightly firm in the center, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. While the potatoes cook, prepare a large bowl of ice water. Place the crushed potato chips in a medium bowl. Drain the potatoes, transfer to the ice bath and let cool about 5 minutes; drain well. Coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl. Mix in the flour, 1 tbsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Shape into eight 2-by-3-inch logs. Brush the tots with 2 tbsp. oil, then roll in the crushed chips, pressing to adhere.
3. In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat the remaining 6 tbsp. oil over medium-high. Cook the tots, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the tots are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with the ketchup.