- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or EVOO
- 8 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar or 1 tbsp. light agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices mustard seed-flavored Beemster (Gouda) or smoked Gouda
- 4 potato rolls, split and toasted
- Spicy brown mustard
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed adn warmed
- Bread-and-butter pickles
- Salt-and-vinegar potato chips
In a large skillet, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium to medium-high. Crisp the bacon bits, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Add the sugar and vinegar; stir again and remove from heat. Let cool.
In a large bowl, season the turkey lightly with salt and aggressively with pepper. Add the parsley, Worcestershire and the cooled bacon mixture and drippings. Stir to combine, then form 4 patties (thinner at the center for even cooking). Reheat the skillet over medium-high. Add the burgers and cook, flipping once, 12 minutes. Top each with 1 slice of cheese during the last 1 or 2 minutes of cooking.
Slather each roll bottom with mustard and top with a burger, sauerkraut, pickles and a roll top. Serve with potato chips.