- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Stir in the anchovies, if using, until melted. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the Swiss chard and crushed red pepper, cover and cook until wilted, 3 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with black pepper.
Stir the reserved pasta cooking water into the chard mixture. Add the pasta and toss.