- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage with fennel, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound fusilli or cavatappi
- 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh spring peas or frozen peas, preferably organic, thawed
- 1 head escarole or green leaf lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley (a fat handful), chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves (a small handful), chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 2 tbsp.)
- Grated Pecorino Romano, for serving
- EVOO, for drizzling
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In a large skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the stock; simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Season.
Salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook to almost al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water, then drain.
Add the peas to the sausage mixture, then add the escarole and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Toss the pasta with the sausage mixture, over medium, adding some of the reserved starchy cooking water if too dry. Stir in the parsley, mint and lemon juice; season. Serve on a platter or in shallow bowls topped with a little grated cheese and drizzled with EVOO.