- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound brioche or challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 large firm-ripe pears, cored and chopped
- 1 cup diced dried figs
- 1 cup diced dried peaches or apricots
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 9-by- 13-inch baking dish. Spread the bread and walnuts on separate baking sheets and bake until lightly toasted (about 15 minutes for the bread and 10 minutes for the walnuts). Transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pears and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the figs, dried peaches and dried cherries and cook for 1 minute. Scrape into the bowl with the bread and add the chicken broth, egg, thyme, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Mix well and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover with greased foil and bake until hot, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.