Recipe by Scott Conant, chef-partner, the soon-to-open Mora Italian in Phoenix and judge on Chopped on Food Network.
- Prep Time
- Makes about 4 cupsServings
- 3 cups Merlot or other red wine
- 1 cup organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1. Place all the ingredients in a glass container. Cover the top with several layers of cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band. Place in a cool, dark place and allow to ferment 30 to 45 days. It should have a vinegar scent, and the liquid will have particles floating in it, like you find in apple cider vinegar.
2. Strain through cheesecloth to remove particles, then transfer into bottles and cork or cover tightly. Store in a cool, dark place to allow flavor to continue developing. Use as needed. Strain before use.
Use it in Vinegar-Braised Lamb Shanks