- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 lbs.), breastbone and backbone removed, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil (or 2 lbs. lard)
1. In a resealable plastic bag, soak the chicken in the buttermilk for 30 minutes (or up to 12 hours). In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
2. Remove the chicken pieces and coat them evenly with the flour mixture; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand for 15 minutes. Coat the chicken again in the flour mixture.
3. Meanwhile, in an extra-large, heavy skillet, heat the oil to 350°. Carefully add the chicken to the pan and partially cover. Lower the heat to medium-low and fry the chicken, turning occasionally, until the crust is gold-brown and the meat is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. (Lower the temperature if the chicken is browning too quickly.) Transfer to paper towels to drain; serve hot.