- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 12 ounce bottles belgian wheat beer
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 12 dill pickles, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick and patted dry
Using a blender, puree the wine, chiles, shallot and 1 tablespoon each basil and dill; transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the sour cream and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Fold in the remaining 1 tablespoon each basil and dill.
Fill a large pot with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Using a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the beer and panko on medium speed until the mixture is the consistency of oatmeal, about 5 minutes.
Working in batches, dip the pickle slices in the batter. Add them to the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels, sprinkle with salt and serve with the dipping sauce.