Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
|Active Time||Total Time||Serves|
2 hours, 10 minutes (includes cooling)
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet puff pastry (14-oz. package or 1 sheet from a 17.3-oz. package), thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp. pure almond extract
- 2 large firm, ripe pears—peeled, halved, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tbsp. cherry jam, warmed
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 10-by-12-inch rectangle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you make the frangipane.
2. In a food processor, puree the sugar and butter. Add the egg; pulse, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl, until smooth, about 1 minute. Pulse in the almond flour and extract. Spread the frangipane thinly over the pastry, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Top with the pears. Strain the jam; brush half over the pears.
3. Bake the tart, rotating the sheet halfway through, until the pastry is browned and the frangipane is puffed and deep golden brown, about 40 minutes. Brush the pears with the remaining jam; let cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.