- Prep Time
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 8 ounces ripe taleggio, camembert or brie cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 pounds 1-inch-thick flatiron steak, cut into 4 portions
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO),for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers or 5 to 6 caper berries, halved
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch arugula (3 to 4 cups)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
In a medium pot, add the potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, add salt and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, return the potatoes to the pot and mash with enough milk for your desired consistency. Mash in the cheese; season with salt and pepper.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Drizzle the steaks with EVOO, add to the pan and cook for 8 minutes for medium-rare; season with salt and pepper.
In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the beef broth. Stir in the parsley, capers and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat; season with pepper.
Dress the arugula with the lemon juice, a little EVOO, salt and pepper.
Top the steaks with the gravy and greens. Serve with the potatoes.