- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/4 lbs. fank steak, very thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts chopped separately
- 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 large bulb fennel, cut into matchsticks
- 3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/4 cups grape tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp. EVOO
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
in a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice, stirring to coat. Add 2 cups of water, 3/4 tsp salt and a generous amount of pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over high heat. Working in batches, add the steak strips, season with salt and pepper and cook until mostly browned, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Stir in the fennel, carrots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until softened and just beginning to brown, 8-10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp water; cook until softened, 1-2 minutes. Return the beef to the skillet and heat through for 1-2 minutes. Serve over the rice.