Recipe by Rachel Ray
This recipe originally appeared in our Winter/Spring 2021 issue. Get the magazine here.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice
Chicken & Marinade
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced (if using breasts, halve them horizontally, then thinly slice crosswise into strips)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Shaoxing wine, dry sherry, or white wine
- 1 tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 to 4 tbsp. fermented black beans (I buy mine online but they’re also widely available in Asian markets)
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine, dry sherry, or white wine
- 4 tbsp. peanut oil or other neutral oil
- 12 oz. green beans, trimmed, then sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece (1 1/2 inches) peeled fresh ginger, finely chopped or cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 tbsp. black bean sauce or hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- A splash of Chinese black vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. chili-garlic paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp. toasted dark sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed, thinly sliced on an angle (whites and greens)
1. In a small pot, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
2. In a resealable plastic bag, place the chicken and the marinade ingredients; toss to coat and seal the bag. Let marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, cover the fermented beans with the wine.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the green beans and shallots. Stir-fry for 5 minutes. Stir in half of the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until fragrant, a minute or 2. Transfer the green beans to a platter.
5. Return the pan to the stovetop and heat the remaining 2 tbsp. oil, two turns of the pan, over. medium-high. Add the chicken, the remaining garlic and ginger, the black bean sauce, soy sauce, black vinegar, and chili-garlic paste, if using. Add the green beans back to the skillet; toss. Add the fermented bean mixture and toss again. Add the sesame oil and scallions; toss to combine. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
6. Divide the rice among shallow bowls; top with the chicken.