- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy greens, stalks and leaves finely chopped separately
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 28 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 10 ounce cans baby clams or chopped clams packed in water, liquid reserved
- Salt and pepper
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the fat renders, about 6 minutes; discard the fat. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and celery stalks and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the potato, the tomatoes and their juice and the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potato is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in the clams with their liquid and cook to warm through. Stir in the chopped celery leaves and season with salt and pepper.